Gravenhurst – Mayor
1. What actions have you personally taken to support a greener, more sustainable climate?
- I designed and built a super energy efficient mini home. Using lots of natural renewable materials, that includes passive heating.
- Participating in Climate Actions in Bracebridge and Huntsville.
- Composting, recycling, and mostly repurposing and reusing.
- Candidate for the Green Party in a Federal election.
- Writer / Host My Sustainable Life on Hunters Bay Radio/Podcasts.
- Talking it up with friends and neighbours.
- Calling out “Blue Hydrogen”.
- Sharing to inspire others on the tiny home movement and affordable (in perpetuity) housing to create sustainable communities and culture.
- Taking responsibility for my consumption and always striving to do better.
- Supporting sustainable green businesses, organic farmers, sustainable farming and markets.
- Keeping an open mind for continuous learning.
- Yes, I even check the tire pressure on my car.
2. What opportunities for climate leadership at the municipal level (e.g. greenhouse gas emissions (GHGs)) would you champion in one or more of these areas: Buildings | Housing | Land use (sprawl) | Transportation | Other
All of it, buildings, housing, land use (sprawl), converting town and district fleets to electric and hybrid with a target date for “no more” full combustion engines.
The town of Gravenhurst has committed to GHG targets and declared a climate emergency. The Environmental Advisory Committee is now the Sustainability Advisory Committee and has updated to more climate relevant terms of reference. Are we on the way to meeting our commitments? Measure our progress and create relevant action items. I’ll help and support the Town and District of Muskoka to move us all forward.
3. A long-term problem requires a long-term solution. What is your 100-year plan? If elected, what would be your first action?
Let the committee develop the 100 year plan. A committee “working group” allows more outside participation, perspectives and creativity that could lead to more action items. We “all” buy-in to a plan we created together.