FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Omnibus bill guts environmental protections province-wide
Muskoka, November 15, 2022 — Climate Action Muskoka has joined dozens of groups and municipalities across the province in raising the alarm about Ontario Bill 23, aka “More Homes Built Faster Act.” In an open letter to Muskoka’s Towns, Townships and District government and staff, CAM urges the municipal government and citizens across Muskoka to raise our collective voice in opposition.
The provincial government claims that Bill 23 was designed to address the housing crisis. But what Bill 23 actually does is open the door for developers to pave over wetlands, farmlands, forests and waterways that were previously protected.
It takes away the power of municipal governments—including those in Muskoka—to make planning decisions, reduces their autonomy and tax base, and silences conservation authorities and other environmental protection groups.
This bill exacerbates sprawl, undermines affordability, and ends the use of municipal green building standards. It is most harmful to those municipalities already on a green path. The only winners here are the builders of new subdivisions.
Bill 23 is an appalling abuse of power. CAM urges everyone in Muskoka to raise our collective voice in opposition. What you can do:
- Read up on the implications of Bill 23:
- Make a submission to the Ontario government by 7pm on Thursday Nov. 17. Start here. Use this toolkit on how to make a written submission to the committee hearings on Bill 23.
- Write to MPP Graydon Smith at Graydon.email@example.com. Find a letter to base yours on here
- Sign this petition from Ontario Nature
- Join CAM’s Provincial Day of Action Friday, Nov. 18
- Use your voice on social media. Use hashtags #StopBill23 #StopSprawl #onpoli #saveontariowetlands.
Climate Action Muskoka is an inclusive, non-partisan Muskoka-based group formed in 2019 whose mission is to collaborate with individuals, businesses, groups and all levels of government to mitigate and adapt to the climate crisis. Find us at www.climateactionmuskoka.org, on Facebook and Instagram @climateactionmuskoka.