Submit your exhibit ideas for the Muskoka Discovery Centre | Deadline July 8
Climate Action Muskoka supporters, let’s put our creative talents to work.
We have been invited to brainstorm ideas for compelling, provocative, hands-on exhibits that will educate visitors to the Muskoka Steamships and Discovery Centre in Gravenhurst by challenging visitors’ understanding of the threats of climate change and motivate them to participate in sustainable and regenerative actions.
The criteria for exhibit ideas includes:
- Provocative, challenging the status quo, and envisioning a sustainable and regenerative future
- Hands-on, interactive, engaging any or all age groups
- Visitors leave challenged to make personal changes in their behaviour.
- Visitors leave determined to demand and support climate action at all levels.
Professional designers will develop the exhibits. We have been asked to generate the ideas. The theme is structured around 50 Ways to Flatten the Climate Curve and Make Life Sustainable.
Some exhibit ideas already suggested:
- Building and retrofitting for the future Choose from a selection of building materials to build your house and get an embodied carbon emission score for each material chosen.
- Intersectionality and Climate Solutions A large sustainability web, like a spider’s web, displaying connections between social, environmental, economic, low carbon and infrastructure sustainability pieces. Remove or weaken one piece and see how it affects the others.
- Pick a path to your holiday destination in Muskoka. What would it look like? Compare emissions from a current weekend in Muskoka to a new alternative with train/public transit, shuttle, non-motorized recreation such as canoeing, biking, hiking, skiing.
- Climate Tipping Points: Where are we now? Large global map with push buttons to light up information on regions (Greenland, Antarctic, Arctic Amazon Rainforests etc.) Links to how this impacts Muskoka.
Make a difference by contributing your ideas.Please send your submission by July 8th, 2020. Email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put ‘Discovery Centre Submission’ in the subject line.
This is an incredible opportunity to impact climate change behaviours in our community and beyond in transformative ways.
We are grateful to the Muskoka Discovery Centre and Rick Zytaruk for the invitation to collaborate on this important issue.